Friday 29 January 2016

A ring from middle estuary- #DB97190

I trained as a ringer under my good friend Bill Jones, often out on Oakham Island. Although I now limit myself to the southern shore, and Oakham is frustratingly mid-estuary, just north of the main channel, I hope publishing an occasional map from some of his ringing recoveries over the years here on this blog will be of interest.

Greenshank Ring no.DB97190
Ringed: 9th August 2003
Found: 13th July 2005, Homledal, Hole, Buskerud, Norway.
Leg and ring found near Peregrine nest.
Found 704 days after ringing, 1,129 kilometres from Oakham.

This particular bird was an adult when ringed.Scandinavian Greenshank often pass through the south and east of the UK on their way to winter in south-west Europe and Africa. It is known these birds are highly site-faithful to particular staging areas whilst on migration, so highly likely to have visited the Medway before (and then after) the ringing date.

The recovery site and date could refer to it being back local to its breeding site, or possibly still en route to breeding grounds, when it met its end.

More details on Greenshanks (plus a map of international movements) can be found c/o the link on the BTO Birdfacts page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21