Sunday 10 January 2016

A ring from middle estuary- #1293502

I trained as a ringer under my good friend Bill Jones, often on Oakham Island. Although I now limit myself to the southern shore and Oakham is frustratingly just north of the main channel, mid-estuary, I hope publishing an occasional map from some of his ringing recoveries over the years here on this blog will be of interest.

Grey Heron Ring no.1293502
Ringed: 12th February 2003
Found: 16th May 2008, Töcksfors, Varmland, Sweden.
Freshly dead- found in a fishing net.
Found 1,920 days after ringing, 1,143 kilometres from Oakham.


To date, this is the only British-ringed Grey Heron to have been recovered in Sweden. The bird was most likely not actually British, as foreign-ring recoveries have shown birds from north and east Europe routinely overwinter in the UK.

More details of Grey Heron ring recoveries (plus a map of international movements) can be found c/o the BTO website here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21